10 reasons to visit Turkey
1. Fabulous beaches. Turkey has some of the best beaches in Europe like Cleopatra beach in Alanya, one of Turkey’s biggest resorts, and Patara, considered to be one of the best beaches in the world, both located on Turkey’s south west coast lapped by the Mediterranean Sea.
2. Get diving. If you’ve dived to the ocean depths before, or fancy giving it a go, the Underwater Museum in Side near to Antalya offers the perfect opportunity! The first of its kind in Europe, it features a range of sculptures and man-made wreckages for you to explore from 7 to 25 metres under the sea.
3. A balloon ride in Cappadocia. The awe inspiring sight from your hot air balloon high above a landscape of caves and ‘fairy-chimneys’ hollowed out of soft rock is an experience not to be missed. In Cappadocia you can visit underground cities, see the historic painted cave churches and even spend a night in a luxurious cave hotel!
. Waterparks. Turkey can get pretty hot in the summer season but luckily there are plenty of chances to cool down in its many waterparks such as Atlantis Waterpark on Marmaris beach and Antalya Aquapark.
. A jeep safari. For an exhilarating day out, a jeep safari up the 3756m Taurus Mountains close to the city of Alanya taking in a visit to a Turkish village can give you a taste of traditional Turkish life.
6. Wine Tasting. Turkey may not immediately spring to mind when you think of wine tasting but is actually one
of the largest grape producers in the world. Head to Cappadocia’s vineyards for sunset tastings or Izmir, capital of the Aegean region where more than half of the country’s wine is produced.
. Cheap flights. Monarch fly regularly to the south west coast of Turkey including to Dalaman from 5 airports in the UK, with flights starting from £99 one way, £143 return and to Antalya from London Gatwick from £74 one way, £113 return www.monarch.co.uk
8. Turtle spotting. Many rare and protected turtles lay their eggs on the beaches of Turkey, Patara is a good
choice, as is Iztuzu (or Turtle) Beach in Dalyan on the south west coast, home to the Loggerhead turtle in the warmer months.
9. Luxury without the price tag. Treat yourself to the five star treatment with your own luxury villa. 5 Star Villa
Holidays have stunning contemporary 4 bedroomed, 3 bathroom Dream Villas with private pools in the Taurus Mountains, around 10 minutes from the city of Alanya.
0. Thermal springs. For a wellbeing boost, Turkey is home to many thermal springs where natural pools are fed by hot springs. Pamukkale, meaning cotton castle, is a stunning 22m cliff made up of many small mineral pools and a UNESCO World Heritage Site but there are around 1500 other thermal springs elsewhere in Turkey to discover!